Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After Fire Damage
SERVPRO of Billings is available 24/7, 365 days a year to help you after any kind of fire damage. If your winter season was put on pause by a holiday fire from malfunctioning Christmas lights or a Turkey dinner overcooked, we are available even on holidays. Our team has the expertise and knowledge to restore your home or business quickly and efficiently after a fire disaster.
While you wait for our team, read below for a few tips on how to get the cleaning process started.
Safety should be your first priority. Please wait for an "all clear" from your local fire department before reentering the property.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (406) 252-0859
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.