What Can Water Do To Your Home | SERVPRO® of Billings
Water damage can be devastating for any home. If a major leak or flood happens, it's important to take action immediately. SERVPRO of Billings can help you clean up and repair your property after water damage has occurred, but the sooner you begin the process, the less costly it will be.
If you're dealing with a leak or flood, it's important to act fast. In fact, water damage can ruin your home faster than you might think. Within the first 24 hours of a leak or flood, mold development, damage to floors, walls, and electrics, and even structural issues can occur. That's why it's always best to quickly hire a water cleanup pro near you for a consultation and repair.
How Bad is Water Damage?
First of all, there's water damage itself, which causes destruction to building materials, appliances, fixtures, and furniture as it sits and pools, with electronics being especially susceptible to damage. Also, mold thrives with water, and it is particularly concerning when moisture is hidden behind walls and in other difficult-to- reach areas. Even worse, depending on where the water came from, water damage leads to health concerns, as sitting water often features all sorts of germs and bacteria.
Quickly Does Damage Occur?
Even what seems to be a small harmless leak can cause damage. Water spreads rapidly and absorbs into everything such as walls, floors, furniture, and more.
Within the First 24 Hours
- As a leak or flood spreads, it will soak everything in the vicinity leaving wet dark spots on floors and walls
- Personal belongings, such as books and photos, can immediately bulge and warp beyond repair
- Furniture, walls, and floors will begin to absorb the water as well
- Drywall, wooden doors, and even window frames can swell
- Paint or wallpaper can peel or blister, and could impact electrical systems.
- If water is on your roof, the leak could come through the ceilings and create damage to insulation and wooden beams
- Mold can develop within this timeframe
Within the First Week
- Mold can spread rapidly and the site becomes a biohazard
- Any damage to wood surfaces and walls will intensify
- Metal surfaces will start corroding
More than a Week
- If you leave water damage for more than a week, the timescales, costs, and effort involved in any restoration work will increase significantly.
- The spread of mold increases dramatically
- Risks associated with structural damage are greater.
Where to Get Help
SERVPRO of Billings specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Regardless of the type of water damage sustained, SERVPRO has the tools and teams to help your home or business recover. Contact us 24⁄7 when you need a dependable team to help you recover.